The Randidge monument of about 1891 was executed by sculptor Adolph Robert Kraus, with the base designed by architect Carl Fehmer. It can be considered the counterpart of the John R. Robbins Monument, built 40 years later and in a different style.
Even though the Randidge monument is much larger in scale than the Robbins monument, the elements are essentially the same, and express the same feelings: the figure of Grief in classical robes leans in sorrow on an inverted torch; funerary urns decorate the four corners of the base.
The different materials used—bronze, granite—show the changes in the fields of sculpture and monument making that had taken place in the late nineteenth century, when Paris and the Beaux-Arts (“beautiful arts”) school replaced Italy as the center of the Western art world, and when bronze and granite replaced marble as the dominant sculptural materials.
The next stop is the Warren Family lot.
HOME] [ABOUT FOREST HILLS] [EXHIBITIONS
& SCULPTURE] [CALENDAR OF EVENTS]
[EDUCATION & PRESERVATION] [CONTACT US] [DIRECTIONS & HOURS]